We are pleased to have a Guest Designer every month from April on . . . This month we have Kate Vickers. We have some more awesome projects by Kate that will be featured this week!
Hi Everyone! I’m very pleased to be a guest designer here at Pretty Little Studio. I’m a big fan and I appreciate the opportunity! My name is Kate Vickers. I’m a freelance Web Project Manager / Designer / Developer and I live in Burlington, Ontario, Canada (in the Toronto area). I have been married to Mark for about 10 years now and we have 3 kids, ages 7, 4 and 2.
I love the products and I had a lot of fun making my projects. For my first project, I did a 12 X 12 layout of my oldest daughter when she was a baby. I wanted the bright primary colours to be the focus of the layout, so I decided to work with a black and white photo for contrast.
I used papers from the Clowning Around line. There is one paper in there that really stood out to me, and that’s the burst pattern. I started by cutting that into an 8″ circle, I then extended the burst pattern by cutting the coordinating patterns in the line to extend to the end of the 12″ background paper. To tie in the pieces of paper and make the background more seamless, I cut tiny strips of coordinating cardstock and framed each of the coloured sections with the strips of cardstock.
I love to layer, so I layered a bingo card, an antique ledger bracket, a star, some ribbon, vintage tag and vintage cutout. I put my photo on top and I propped it up with adhesive foam dots. I cut out 4 blank Count to Spring paper ribbons and stamped ’2004′ on them with Maya Road stamps. I propped those up with adhesive foam dots as well.
I hope you like my layout!
- How long have you been scrapbooking? I have been scrapbooking for about 5-6 years now. I have recently discovered card making and in the past year or so, I have also been very interested in doing altered projects as well.
- What is your scrapbook style? My style is very ecclectic and slightly cluttered. I like to layer elements a lot and my layouts are usually pretty ‘full’ looking. Minimalism is not my thing and I rely pretty heaving on my computer and my Silhouette Cameo.
- When do you find time to scrap? This question makes me smile because this past month has been so crazy it’s been difficult to find any ‘me’ time. However, I do find the time and fit it in whenever I can. I’m usually scrapping during the day when my youngest child is napping or after they all go to bed at night.
- What is your favorite PLS product? Tough question! I think that my favorites would have to be the vintage die cuts. They are so cute and whimsical. I love a little bit of whimsy! I also love the train tickets, the Bingo number tags and the paper ribbons.
- Where do you find your inspiration? All over the place! I follow other scrapbooker’s blogs, I check out Pinterest a lot and I like to look at the Galleries on all the big scrapbooking and kit club Web sites. Sometimes an idea will come right out of looking at the papers that I’m working with, or sometimes with no trigger at all.
- What are your favorite colors and subjects to scrap? I like big, bold, bright colors and I scrap pretty much every subject there is. Sometimes I scrap about a moment / event and sometimes it’s about an emotion.
- Tell us some fun facts about you! Besides scrapbooking, my other passion is horseback riding. I have been doing that for over 25 years! I only ride about once or twice a month these days because I’m busy with my kids, my business, and of course, scrapbooking. I used to own two horses, both thoroughbreds, and I competed in E venting with them.
- GIVEAWAY: Melissa has generously donated a prize of my favourite Pretty Little Studio products to be given away on my Blog , so don’t forget to visit and leave me a comment to enter to win. You can find me at www.scrapsation.com
- Here is the prize: